The Mad Lab

Monthly Halloween Prop Building Contest

Forums

Forum Home > Tutorials > May Mad Lab Tutorial - Pillar of Eyes

Apetoes

Pillar of Eyes Tutorial

The basic concept in mind was to make a stack of eyes out of tennis balls, then put some teeth around the eye lids… why you ask, because teeth are scary.

I took three tennis balls and cut a flap out of them, bent it back and secured it in place with some wire.

Then the tennis balls were paper mached using coffee filters, strips were proving difficult to get all of the angles. To get a bulbous eye ball I stuck a balloon in the tennis ball and inflated it.

The balls were then stacked and glued together, the base was a cardboard circle with a left over cinnamon bun icing container glued to the top, then stripped mached.

Some clay to the flaps and placed sunflower seed teeth in the clay.

First did a matte coat of black

The dry brushed with white, and painted the whites of the eyes

Then had fun with some different washes, ended up mixing leaf green, gold, and purple to get the puke color of the base and outer eye balls. The the inner eye balls were washed with gold then drybrushed with red, the roof of the mouth and gums had a little red added as well.

Happy Haunting!

Jacob.

May 20, 2009 at 9:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ArtsyChiqua

Love this Pillar of Eyes!  Very cool.

May 20, 2009 at 11:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Macsrealm

Thats wicked.

--

Something wicked this way comes.

May 21, 2009 at 2:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

HauntedHotSauce.com

Hey! That's too cool!!! Maybe get some water-based clear varnish and give just the whites and pupils some goopy shine...love it!!! Very creative!!!

--

Stay Rotten,
Victor "The Undertaker" Ives

TheUndertaker@HauntedHotSauce.com

If you like homemade hot sauce in handmade coffins check out: HauntedHotSauce.com

...and if you're a Misfits and hot sauce fan, visit: DoylesMadeInHell.com

May 22, 2009 at 8:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Apetoes

Thanks everyone, I have some bad news, my pillar died today, accidentally left it in the trunk and now I have three balls all separated with a bunch of missing sunflower seed teeth :-( time to do some surgery.  While I am at it I will give the clear varnish a shot, thanks for the tip!

May 22, 2009 at 11:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dr Jekyll
Site Owner

So sorry for your loss. I hope it can be repaired as it's a great prop.

Ya know the last time an entry died in the middle of a contest it ending up winning. :wink:

--

The Doctor is in...

May 23, 2009 at 12:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.