The Mad Lab

Monthly Halloween Prop Building Contest

Forums

Forum Home > Forum Rules and Regs > Need Scarecrow Ideas!!!!

DSTRONG61

Hello! There is a contest for a themed scarecrow even twith the theme - Hungry For Nature and I need some cool ideas for making a scarecrow. Categories are -most funny - most original, best relation to theme and peoples choice award. Any ideas will be most welcome. Not sure if super spooky will work but man it would be great to scare someone and win! LOL
THANKS!
Denise

June 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JustJimAZ
Administrator

Hungry for nature?  What exactly does that mean - like eating vegetables, or yearning to return to nature?

I would think a Pumkinrot style scarecrow would work pretty well.  The pumpkin head and vine/branch arms are all natural.

Taking the opposite track, possibly a mechanical looking scarecrow with vegetables and/or animals in its claws and teeth?

Either of these may be good for most original or best relation to the theme.  If the contest has a webpage, why not post a link?  It may help.

--

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

June 11, 2012 at 9:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

DSTRONG61

heres the link and thanks!

http://www.bernheim.org/scareCrow.html

June 11, 2012 at 10:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JustJimAZ
Administrator

I see.  So smiley, silly, "whimsical" is key, eh?  From past winners, I'm guessing scary scarecrows will not really be welcome.

A pumpkinrot style construction could still work, but you'd have to sculpt the pumpkinhead to be happy.  Big, round eyes, a bulbous nose, and a wide grin of square teeth perhaps.

Adding a deer motor or two to move the arms and head might help you win.

I was also thinking of a "green man" kind of thing, possibly all leaves in fall colors. It would never work as a real scarecrow, but it has a hippy/pagan Earth worship vibe that might serve you well in this particular contest.

I think you need to stay away from the burlap sack head, since there will be plenty of people doing that.  

Something other than a pumpkin might be good.  How about a huge ear of corn?  

You know, it just ocurred to me scarecrows are usually male, or male forms in a dress.  If you are really ambitious, why not do a Mother Nature build?  You'd need a mannequin and you could dress her up in leaves - think a fairy without wings.  She could be holding a horn of plenty.  If you did that, you'd win some prize for sure.

--

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

June 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.